Division 2 Flasheart skipper Stephen Lee holds off strong challenge from Stephen Brown’s Mary Maitland

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
Wild One gets knocked down in Saturday's race.
Camera IconWild One gets knocked down in Saturday's race. Credit: Des Beeck

Division 2 skipper Stephen Lee at the helm of Flasheart, had his hands full when challenged by Stephen Brown’s Mary Maitland during last Saturday’s harbour course race.

The relentless easterly howling at a constant 23 knots was enough to keep many skippers and crews ashore.

This included the Flying Fifteens fleet which wanted to avoid damage to their small craft.

Brown won the start with Mary Maitland and led all the way on the long reach to Goode buoy.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


It was here that Lee put Flasheart in front and opened up a two-minute lead under spinnaker.

Brown made up ground on the beat up the harbour but Lee always managed to skip away on the downward legs.

This went on for the entire race with not much between them.

However, Lee took Flasheart over the line to take the points by a mere 26 seconds on corrected time and to also record fastest time.

The gallant skipper and crew on Mary Maitland threw everything at Lee to bridge the gap to the larger boat but had to be content with second.

Bumpy start in 23 knots for the winner Flasheart and Mary Maitland.
Camera IconBumpy start in 23 knots for the winner Flasheart and Mary Maitland. Credit: Des Beeck

Division 1 sailed a King George Sound event and once again it was Murray Deere in Wild One pitted against Harold Keay in Shagabull.

Keay took the early lead which surprised Deere as they headed across the harbour.

Deere hit the front and led the way back into the harbour for three more legs.

Deere used a larger spinnaker than Keay and was slipping away on the long leg to club stake in the knowledge that he had to give Keay time on handicap when a sailor’s worst nightmare occurred.

A horrible Chinese gybe knocked Wild One over.

The spinnaker was behind the boat like an uncontrolled kite and Wild One was really having a wild one as Shagabull sailed past on its way to an easy and unexpected win.

The despondent skipper and crew on Wild One recovered their dignity to go on to finish with dash.

The Vipers were sailing on the Swan in the Rumble in the Reach held by the East Fremantle Yacht Club.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails