Co-op building ready to lease
After an extensive renovation process by the City of Albany one of the town’s historical buildings is up for lease.
The Albany Co-operative Society building on Frederick Street, has been restored to its original state.
The building has a decorated past that has it included on a number of national heritage lists.
Built in 1870, it was first occupied by the co-operative as a manager’s residence and shop, but the co-operative was wound up in 1883, leading to the building’s sale.
Over the next 60 years it was used for a variety of reasons before be-ing converted into four flats in 1940.
Westrail took over the building in 1978, completing a series of renovations to use it as a barracks for trainmen until 1991.
Most recently it was used by the Albany Historical Society to display historical artefacts, and since 2014 it has undergone a significant restoration process.
The City is searching for a lessee for either or both of the two floors of the building, with a five-year contract available.
Interested parties should head to the City’s website, albany.wa.gov.au, for more details.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails