Wild One, Shagabull in memorable Princess Royal Harbour battle

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
Murray Deere's Wild One, left, and Harold Keay in Shagabull head for the finish line in close company during Saturday's race.
Camera IconMurray Deere's Wild One, left, and Harold Keay in Shagabull head for the finish line in close company during Saturday's race. Credit: Des Beeck

Division 1 could only field two starters for last Saturday’s harbour course event.

Murray Deere, skippering Wild One, was pitted against his old sparring partner in Harold Keay who was calling the shots on Shagabull in what turned out to be a memorable encounter.

Deere was under pressure throughout the 14 nautical mile journey as Keay shadowed his every move.

The lead did change a couple of times but Deere always got back in front by a small margin.

On the long second last leg from whale chaser to club stake they were locked together in a spinnaker duel.

Deere using a bigger sail edged ahead to cross the line first but Keay had sailed so well to handicap that he was announced the winner on corrected time by two minutes.

Deere was second and also recorded fastest time in a gripping saga.

Division 2 sailed a harbour course and a fleet of four started with Stephen Lee in Flasheart and Stephen Brown in Mary Maitland getting well ahead of Karen Timmins in Grey Moose and Neil Worrel in Zuri.

Timmins was having her first outing for several weeks after repairs to her boat and had opted to go JAM (jib and main) as did Worrell.

These tailenders were having their own race within the race.

Lee proved too good and too fast, finishing first.

But the victor was Timmins, with Grey Moose, who won on corrected time.

Flasheart was second and fastest in another good performance and Brown, who had done well throughout, was third.

Flying Fifteens sailed in the harbour in good sailing conditions with a steady south-easterly about 15 knots.

This was the weather that suited Simon Lucas with FForever Young and he used it well to lead throughout the race.

He was under pressure early from Aileen Lucas in Crazy and Wayne North in Frequent Flyer but the longer the race went the further in the lead he went and finished more than two minutes ahead of Crazy, which took second place.

Wayne North never gave up the chase and is determined to do better in the future.

Vipers sailed a short but quick harbour course and four boats were in action. Murray Howson in Chinese Moccasin displayed his usual skills to dominate the race though pushed by Michael Cameron in Bite Me.

Duncan Ray in Alice and Steve Dines in Fang were also showing good form but not good enough on the day to stop Howson winning from Cameron who was 39 seconds behind in second place while Duncan Ray was third with Alice.

Five Vipers from Princess Royal Sailing Club will be in action this weekend at East Fremantle Yacht Club when they compete in races on the Swan River.

The local Viper boys will be sure to give a good account of themselves.

Meanwhile, last week the club hosted the 2021 WA Mirror Championships attracting 12 boats over three days of action.

A masterful display from Simon Barwood in Bulletproof helped claim the title, representing Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club with his crew Tyson Barwood.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails