Weekend of Speed set to be one of the first motorsport events in Australia to spin the wheels

Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser
Father and son Keith and Adrian Hornsey have been competing in the hill climb since 2010.
Camera IconFather and son Keith and Adrian Hornsey have been competing in the hill climb since 2010. Credit: Laurie Benson

The Great Southern Street Machines Association is gearing up for a Weekend of Speed on the WA Day long weekend, in one of the first motorsport events held in Australia since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Revheads from around the south of the State will converge on Albany next weekend for the annual Wind Farm Hill Climb and Battle of Pendeen Sprint.

The Weekend of Speed is still awaiting a final tick of approval from Motorsport Australia, but the GSSMA is confident its event will go ahead — albeit without spectators. The two events are held annually on the long weekend, which is part of a massive few days of motorsport action in the city headlined by the Albany Classic — Around the Houses event.

The Albany Classic has been cancelled for this year, but after consulting with the City of Albany, the GSSMA has proceeded with its Weekend of Speed plans.

GSSMA president Keith Hornsey said with the Albany Classic cancelled, there was a big void for local speedsters.

Mr Hornsey and his son Adrian have been competing in the hill climb since 2010, the latter reaching speeds of 196km/h up the hill in his V8 Mazda last year.

The Wind Farm Hill Climb is set down for Saturday, May 30 and the Battle of Pendeen Sprint will happen on Monday, June 1.

The weekend will also feature a virtual coffee and cars event.

GSSMA treasurer and event secretary Christine Sargent said the association was confident it would get the green light. “We have got nearly everything approved,” Ms Sargent said.

“Motorsport Australia have to give the final tick of approval.

“We have to abide by the standard protocols in place around COVID-19.

“After Easter we had a discussion about running the event or not and we decided to press on in the hope it could happen.

“It looks like we are going to be the test case for Australia, one of the first events to be run since COVID-19.

“Entries are coming in and we are hoping to have everything officially ticked off in the coming days.”

Ms Sargent said competitors would come to each pit area in small groups, as per government restrictions, and no spectators would be allowed at the events.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails