Tigers crush Lions in NAIDOC fixture, Kangas fire under lights

Staff reportersAlbany Advertiser
Royals' Nic Finlay gets his kick away as Railways' Nelson Kent tackles.
Camera IconRoyals' Nic Finlay gets his kick away as Railways' Nelson Kent tackles. Credit: Laurie Benson

Railways have maintain their unbeaten record so far in 2018 with a emphatic 73-point win over Royals in NAIDOC Round at Centennial Stadium yesterday.

Only the Lions wore specially made NAIDOC jumpers for the round 3 Great Southern Football League clash after the Tigers strips didn’t arrive in time but it failed to stop the visitors from jumping to an early lead.

In-form forward Kenton Gibbs, small forward Doug Roberts and youngster Aidan Dallimore got things started for the Tigers who led by 13 points at quarter time.

It should have been more if not for some inaccurate kicking as they piled on 4.8 in the second to open up a 38-point buffer by half time.

There was only two goals kicked in the third term, one apiece, but tempers boiled over several times which led to four yellow cards being handed out.

Still missing at least half a dozen first choice players the Lions couldn’t contain the Tigers in the last half and they managed just one goal themselves, after several missed shots on goal of their own in the third.

The Tigers kicked six goals as their strong finishes to games continue, thumping their arch rivals in the end 14.16 (100) to 3.9 (27).

Tigers player-coach Craig Frost was awarded a NAIDOC ball after being recognised as best on ground in the win while Joel Want was pivotal in the midfield along with Zane Marwick.

Gibbs, Zak Hortin and Roberts all finished with three majors each for the winners.

Andrew Ruck was used forward and in the ruck to be one of the Lions best contributors along with Dylan Ford and polished ball user Ryan Kinnear while Coel Hunter was their only multiple goal kicker.

Mt Barker overcame a slow start to power away from Denmark-Walpole in the second half to remain undefeated at home in Saturday’s other match.

The Bulls 47-point win came through a 10-goal second half after the Magpies led at quarter time and trailed by only two points at the major break.

Prolific forward Kym Monteath booted five goals while assistant coach Tyson Sujdovic bobbed up with four second half goals in the 15.8 (98) to 7.9 (51) result.

Meanwhile on Friday night, North Albany were far too strong for Albany under lights as they won by 137 points.

North Albany's Mitch Lenegan breaks away from Albany's Jake Abbott.
Camera IconNorth Albany's Mitch Lenegan breaks away from Albany's Jake Abbott. Credit: Albany Advertiser

The Kangas were never really challenged at any stage and led at every change on their way to a second win of the season.

Matt Orzel was best afield with a ton of possessions and three goals while Jacob Hobbs and Lachy O’Shea also impressed.

The Sharks were well led by Stewart Davies and Zac Pearson but were convincingly beaten in the second half, conceding 16 goals.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails