Storm winless on day one

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser
Great Southern Storm's Nelson Kent gathers possession.
Camera IconGreat Southern Storm's Nelson Kent gathers possession. Credit: Cameron Newbold

The Great Southern Storm have lost their first two games of the Landmark Country Football Championships, falling to the South West Football League and then Regional Districts at Bendigo Bank Stadium in Mandurah today.

A sluggish start in both matches hurt the Storm as they fell behind in the games, consisting of two 20 minute and time on halves, and could never recover.

In their campaign opener against SWFL, the Storm conceded the first three goals and trailed by 21 points at half time after two majors from Nelson Kent and then a set shot from Jayden Scott helped get their side back in the contest.

SWFL however responded in the second half with the first four goals as they put the match to bed quickly, led by livewire Eli Hill.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Hill finished with three goals in the 42-point win as their dangerous forward line proved too much for the Storm defenders.

Malek Wallam finished with three majors and Ty Anderson was also impressive for SWFL as they ran out winners, 10.8 (68) to 4.2 (26).

Nelson Kent was terrific for the Storm with his tackling pressure and ability to find the ball up the ground while Zainel Bin Busu and Taj Williams also played well.

Kimberley product Quintin Shandley took some telling overhead marks in defence as well.

In their second game of the opening day up against Regional Districts, a six-goal to nil first half was the difference as the Storm went down by 41 points.

Regional Districts' Reece Edwards marks strongly ahead of Great Southern Storm's Jaike Dale.
Camera IconRegional Districts' Reece Edwards marks strongly ahead of Great Southern Storm's Jaike Dale. Credit: Cameron Newbold

It took the Storm 15 minutes to register a score when a Shandley behind got them on the board but two goals from key forward Nathan Spooner and the elusive Sam Van Diemen had Regional Districts 36 points ahead.

Regional Districts kicked the first two goals of the second to all but end the contest but the Storm continued to fight as finished with three majors in the loss.

Callum Redshaw ended the Storm drought before the hard-working Williams booted his first and then a goal to Codey Baxter on the siren but they would go down, 3.6 (24) to 10.5 (65).

Spooner was a dominant force with four majors and Jaxon East was influential.

Captain Ted Batchelor helped repel plenty of opposition attacks and took a number of intercept marks while Bin Busu and Baxter worked hard through the midfield and defender Joe Alvin was also among Storm’s best players.

Storm face Northern Suns and Peel tomorrow in their bid to reach Saturday’s finals.

Northern Suns and Storm are both winless after the opening day with undefeated teams SWFL and Regional Districts at the top of the standings.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails