Oval damage charges head to trial
The man who allegedly ripped up Denmark’s newly redeveloped McLean Park is set to go to trial after pleading not guilty to his charges.
Reginald Joseph Clark pleaded not guilty to one charge of criminal damage or destruction of property and one charge of reckless driving in the Albany Magistrate’s Court last Thursday.
The Shire of Denmark spent more than $1 million this year on the McLean Park redevelopment, involving a resurface of the main oval along with addition upgrades to lighting, drainage and new cricket nets.
Some in the community expressed anger about the news the oval had been torn up by a car on August 31, with Denmark police taking to Twitter on September 1 to ask for information.
The appeal led to charges being laid later that day.
“Eighteen-year-old male has been arrested and charged with reckless driving and damage,” Denmark police said.
At the time, Shire of Denmark corporate and community services director Cary Green said the damage was done weeks before a perimeter fence was due to be installed.
“It’s a community oval, it’s a community place and something we’re extremely proud of since it’s been resurfaced,” he said.
Mr Clark is due to reappear in the Albany Magistrate’s Court on December 5.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails