Police have launched a Statewide manhunt for an alleged child rapist who is “actively avoiding police” after skipping out on his trial in Albany this week. Prosecutor Sean O’Sullivan — acting on behalf of the State — told the District Court of WA sitting in Albany yesterday that a “considerable” amount of effort by authorities had gone into trying to track down Michael Robert Carroll. A bench warrant was issued for the 47-year-old’s arrest when he failed to face court on 12 serious charges including three counts of sexual penetration of a child under 13 and two deprivation of liberty offences. He is alleged to have two victims. Yesterday morning, District Court Judge Wendy Gillan adjourned Mr Carroll’s five-day trial indefinitely. The 12 jurors who had been called for the priority one trial — the only trial listed in the District Court sitting in Albany this week — were released by Judge Gillan. “We’ve waited as long as we can to use these days,” Judge Gillan said after being told the prosecution had about 61/2 hours of evidence to present. Mr O’Sullivan on Tuesday said Mr Carroll had not made it out of WA, with border points being checked, while other inquiries had been made by authorities in Kalgoorlie. “He could be anywhere,” Mr O’Sullivan told the court. Yesterday, Mr O’Sullivan said there was “some indication” he would be found soon. He said Mr Carroll was “actively avoiding police” and was “not going to make it easy” for them. The accused child rapist is also facing four charges of indecently dealing with a child under 13 and one with a child aged over 13 and under 16. Two charges of threat with intent to prevent/hinder person doing act were also due to be defended by Mr Carroll in court this week. A spokeswoman for the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions told the Advertiser the alleged offences happened between 2011 and 2013. “It is always a matter of concern when an accused fails to answer their bail,” the DPP spokeswoman said. “It is appropriate in every such case that significant effort be put into locating an accused for whom a bench warrant has (been) issued. “The fact that the non-appearance was for a trial which then could not proceed only makes that more appropriate. The failure of the accused to appear at his trial has also had substantial impact on the complainants and witnesses who were prepared and waiting to give evidence.” Mr Carroll first faced the Albany Magistrate’s Court for three of his alleged crimes — one count of sexual penetration and two of indecent dealing — on April 11 in 2019. He entered not guilty pleas for them on October 17. The State brought forward the remainder of his charges at a trial listing hearing in the District Court on June 30. An Albany police spokesman said members of the public should not approach Mr Carroll. Anyone with information should call Albany Detectives or Crime Stoppers.