Magpies in the finals hunt after third quarter blitz

Staff reportersAlbany Advertiser
Denmark-Walpole's Dylan Judd looks to get his handball out under heavy Albany pressure.
Camera IconDenmark-Walpole's Dylan Judd looks to get his handball out under heavy Albany pressure. Credit: Laurie Benson

Denmark-Walpole have kept themselves in the finals hunt, shrugging off Albany after a seven-goal third term rescued the Magpies from a looming season disaster at half-time on their round 11 GSFL fixture at Centennial Stadium today.

For the second week in a row the Sharks led their more fancied opposition at half time, this time by eight points, but failed to hold the Magpies in the crucial third term which set up their 20-point win, 11.7 (73) to 7.11 (53).

Young midfielders Bryce Blaszkow, Zainel Bin Busu and Callum Redshaw sparked the Sharks in the second term but the home side missed the opportunity to be further in front at half time booting 3.8 for the term.

Key forward Shayne Zanetti booted three goals for the match while the influence of Sam Finigan and Jaden Guidi grew as the match wore on.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.

Albany's Dylan Gowdie gets his kick away as Denmark-Walpole's Kalin Lane moves in.
Camera IconAlbany's Dylan Gowdie gets his kick away as Denmark-Walpole's Kalin Lane moves in. Credit: Albany Advertiser

The 35-point three quarter time deficit was too much for the Sharks to erase despite kicking with the strong breeze as the visitors moved to within a game of the fourth placed Royals with four rounds remaining.

At Collingwood Park this afternoon, the race for top spot intensified after North Albany secured their first win over Railways this season.

A depleted Tigers outfit was worn down across the four quarters by the Kangas, who finished 39-point winners following their four goal to one final term.

Defender Regan Lloyd pushed forward to boot the only major of the first term as the Tigers failed capitalise on the strong wind they were kicking with.

The Kangas stretched the margin to 21 points by half-time and it quickly moved out beyond 30 early in the third.

Dylan Schorer and Zak Hortin helped the Tigers bring the deficit back to 20 points with late majors in the third but the Kangas cruised to victory in the end, 10.10 (70) to 4.7 (31).

Michael Trevenen was again supber along with Nic Barrow while defenders Graham Ross and Marcus Trevenen were also very sound.

North Albany's Jack McPhee marks against Railways' Scott Fielding.
Camera IconNorth Albany's Jack McPhee marks against Railways' Scott Fielding. Credit: Albany Advertiser

The Tigers, who made six changes from last week, were best served by Scott Fielding, Dylan Schorer and player-coach Craig Frost.

Yesterday, Mt Barker’s hopes of a top-two finish remain alive after stunning the Lions from quarter time to record an impressive 33-point win at Sounness Park on Saturday afternoon.

After trailing by 22 points at quarter time following a rampant opening stanza from the Lions, the Bulls kept the visitors goalless after half-time on their way to their seventh win of the season, 14.7 (91) to 8.10 (58).

The Bulls added 13 goals to three after quarter time with the vital four points coming despite key forwards Kym Monteath and Daniel Parker, full back Adam Tissott and rebound defender Ty Miller all missing the clash.

The Bulls were superbly led by former skipper Sam Lehmann and current captain Peter Taylor, who both returned to the side after missing the 99-point shellacking to North Albany the previous round.

Defender Brayden Parker and young midfielder Cent Amores were the Lions’ best.

The victory keeps the Bulls still a win behind the second placed Kangas while the Lions grip on fourth place was loosened after their second half fadeout.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails