Division three yachts back racing in King George Sound

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
Division 3 skipper Rob Cridge, wins aboard Noel Robbins.
Camera IconDivision 3 skipper Rob Cridge, wins aboard Noel Robbins. Credit: Des Beeck

A total of 14 yachts across five divisions were in action on the harbour and in the King George Sound last Saturday.

Making an appearance after a lengthy spell were two division 3 yachts and hopefully more of the tiny boats will join this fleet.

Rob Cridge skippering Noel Robbins was just too good on the day for Mark Paynter in Serenita.

Wheelchair-bound Cridge is no slouch when he's out on the water and was able to stay well in front of newcomer, Paynter, in Serenita.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Noel Robbins scored an impressive first and fastest. Paynter no doubt will have learnt a few things and will be ready for their next clash.

Division 2 competed in a King George Sound race and Stephen Lee in Flasheart proved too quick for Stephen Brown in Mary Maitland and Neil Worrell in Zuri.

Lee bounded away to a winning lead very early in the piece giving the other two no chance. Brown in his smaller boat never gave up, to be second over the line behind Lee who took first and fastest.

Worrell was well back in third.

Division 1 also competed in a King George Sound race and it was unlike the match races that had been witnessed of late.

Murray Deere was out to prevent Harold Keay from scoring a hat-trick of wins.

Wild One surged to the lead early in their encounter and was never challenged by Shagabull at any stage apart from a very close start.

Wild One was still several minutes ahead when they sailed back into the harbour for a few more legs, Deere crossing the line well in front to take the coveted double of first and fastest.

Three Flying Fifteens sailed a harbour course race in a 22-knot easterly. Simon Lucas won the start with FForever Young and was the early leader.

Aileen Lucas in Crazy was doing battle with Wayne North in Frequent Flyer from the start but gradually pulled away to give chase to FForever Young, which kept increasing its lead. Frequent Flyer was doing reasonably well when a wayward spinnaker cost it time.

Simon Lucas crossed the line first but on corrected time handed the race to Crazy which had done well throughout the journey. FForever Young was second and fastest with Frequent Flyer in third.

Vipers had a fleet of four competing in a harbour-course race and the keen rivalry between Michael Cameron and Murray Howson continued in earnest.

These two skippers were well ahead of Tom Mears in Fang and Duncan Ray in Alice.

Cameron with a slightly better handicap with Bite Me won on corrected time from Howson's Chinese Moccasin.

This weekend is Dymes Cup Day. The handicap-start event has divisions 1 and 2 competing for the two original Dymes Cups and the other fleets racing for special trophies.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails