Home

Bombshell new drug allegations emerge in Sydney Swans hotel scandal

Harrison Reid7NEWS Sport
VideoThe Sydney Swans have suspended five star players—Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, Riley Bice and James Jordon—for the remainder of the season, including finals, following a Melbourne hotel room scandal involving topless waitresses and alleged

Bombshell new allegations of drug use have emerged in the wake of the Sydney Swans hotel scandal.

7NEWS can reveal there were allegedly illicit drugs present in the room at the Pullman Hotel on Monday morning, which included the five Sydney players who are now suspended for the remainder of the AFL season, and three topless waitresses.

WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Bombshell new drug allegations emerge

“Tonight we can tell you that there was drug use involved,” 7NEWS reporter Tom Morris revealed on Wednesday night.

“It’s unclear which players were involved in this drug use, but I am willing to say tonight that there were multiple players that were taking cocaine.”

Three topless waitresses were booked for $210 per girl, plus tips for extra services and a deposit, from Party Girls Melbourne, arriving at around 5.30am for a two-hour booking.

The Game AFL Finals 2026

The team was scheduled to leave for the airport at 8am.

All of the women involved in the scandal have now given a statement to police, who confirmed on Monday they were investigating a report of an alleged sexual assault.

Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice have all been suspended for the rest of the season, including finals, for breaching club standards.

Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordan, Riley Bice and Nick Blakey have broken their silence.
Camera IconIsaac Heeney, Chad Warner, James Jordan, Riley Bice and Nick Blakey have broken their silence. Credit: AAP

The Swans didn’t drug test the five players before imposing the suspension.

“That’s potentially part of the police matter,” Swans chief executive Matthew Pavlich told reporters on Wednesday.

Asked if the club considered drug testing the five players, he replied: “That matter is for the police.”

The five players have yet to be formally interviewed by Victoria Police’s Sexual Crimes Squad.

Pavlich stressed the club banned the five players for breaching team standards, a sanction separate from the police investigation.

“It was staying out late, it was drinking, it was continuing their night, it was bringing women back to the hotel,” he said.

The five were among other Sydney players and staffers who went out following the club’s win against Essendon in an MCG game that finished about 7pm (AEST) Sunday.

Pavlich said coaches and staffers, including medicos and media personnel, “had a pre-planned get together”.

“They all got back to the hotel quite late, had some dinner and then went out, so it wasn’t inappropriate what they did,” he said.

Players went out separately and had no curfew — but that could now change.

“We will revise or review some of our protocols, but that’s a decision for (coach) Dean (Cox) and (captain) Callum Mills and (football boss) Leon Cameron,” he said.

Numerous other questions remain, including whether the five banned players could face more football-related sanctions if charged by police.

Isaac Heeney has been handed a season-ending ban and will not be considered for All-Australian selection
Camera IconIsaac Heeney has been handed a season-ending ban and will not be considered for All-Australian selection Credit: Getty

The AFL announced on Wednesday night that none of the five players would be considered for All-Australian selection. Heeney, in particular, would have been a certain starter in the team, while Blakey and Warner would also have been in the mix.

Due to the controversy, league officials had already delayed releasing the initial extended squad ahead of naming the final 23-player team.

“Following the decision and appropriate club sanction imposed by the Sydney Swans today in relation to the conduct of five of their players, the AFL has determined those players will not be considered for selection in the 2026 All-Australian squad,” an AFL statement reads. “This decision is independent of the ongoing Victoria Police investigation. “The 2026 All-Australian squad will be finalised on Monday 24 August, with the team announced at the AFL Awards on Tuesday 25 August in Melbourne.”

Pavlich was uncertain if there would be backlash from fans, members and corporate sponsors.

“We have been informing them as early as we can,” he said.

“What I would say is we have got wonderful support at the club in that space, our commercial partners have been wonderful.”

Heeney was also expected to be among the leaders in Brownlow medal voting, but he and his banned teammates are unlikely to attend the annual function for the league’s best-and-fairest player award.

With AAP

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails