Geoff Oliver-skippered Excitabull stirs up the calm in triumph while Flying Flounder notches fifteens win

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
The division two start with Excitabull already in front.
Camera IconThe division two start with Excitabull already in front. Credit: Des Beeck

There were some extraordinary scenes prior to the commencement of racing on Saturday.

With five minutes to the official starting time there was no wind and yachts waiting to start were drifting around in circles.

But miraculously, right on cue, a little breeze wafted to the start line and all boats were able to begin their King George Sound event.

Five division two yachts were again joined by Geoff Oliver’s Excitabull, a division one boat which was given a massive handicap.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


This meant nothing to Oliver and his crew as they quickly judged the wind shift and scooted away from the others and lead the way out into the sound for several legs before coming back into the harbour to finish.

Stephen Lee in Flasheart also got away to a good start as did Chris Oldham in Joker and Stephen Brown in Mary Maitland.

Neil Worrell missed the flying start with Zuri and trailed the fleet.

Mark McRae, who was sailing from the town marina in Sicarius, was also late to begin, having to paddle for much of the way to the start line.

He never gave up and completed the course.

Joker was doing well out in the sound until it fell in a hole, allowing Mary Maitland to get well ahead. Excitabull was first back into the harbour and a long way in front of Flasheart and Mary Maitland who weren’t able to put any pressure on the flyer.

Oliver crossed the line to take the race by less than a minute ahead of Flasheart on corrected time and to also record fastest time in a wonderful display.

Flasheart took second place less than a minute from Mary Maitland, which was third in another good effort.

Just minutes before the start with no wind.
Camera IconJust minutes before the start with no wind. Credit: Des Beeck

Four Flying Fifteens competed in a flying start harbour course event.

The breeze was fluctuating near the start and Aileen Lucas skippering Crazy stalled on the line and lost valuable time, until a little bit of breeze enabled Crazy to start moving.

Meanwhile, Simon Lucas in FForever Young, Wayne North in Frequent Flyer and Eden Gray in Flying Flounder were well away, with FForever Young opening up a handy lead.

North got away from Gray and Crazy was doing well and catching up.

Simon Lucas extended his lead but in the light winds couldn’t get far enough in front to get a victory.

North finished second over the line but missed out on a place on corrected time.

Crazy had done extremely well after its disastrous start to finish in third place but the winner on corrected time was the youngster, Eden Gray skippering Flying Flounder.

Simon Lucas was second and fastest in another fine display with FForever Young.

Next Saturday, the Cock of the Harbour race will be the last event in the autumn series, which will be followed later by the winter series.

The Flying Fifteens with Flying Flounder in the centre.
Camera IconThe Flying Fifteens with Flying Flounder in the centre. Credit: Des Beeck

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails