Home

Sydney Swans statement: Club hits out after Victoria Police update on alleged sexual assault investigation

Headshot of Kimberley Braddish
VideoThe Sydney Swans face mounting controversy as fans debate whether to stage a walkout after the AFLW match this weekend, before the men's team takes the field.

The Sydney Swans have issued a fresh statement after Victoria Police confirmed a number of people have been spoken to as part of its investigation into an alleged sexual assault at a Melbourne hotel.

Victoria Police said on Saturday that detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad were continuing to investigate a report of sexual assault at a hotel on Wellington Parade in East Melbourne in the early hours of August 17.

“The exact circumstances of the matter are still being established and a number of people have been spoken to,” police said.

Police said the investigation remained “active and ongoing” and they would not provide further details about the specific circumstances of the matter, movements of detectives or any statements or interviews taken.

The Swans responded to the police update on Saturday, saying the club supported Victoria Police releasing the statement.

“The Sydney Swans supports the action taken by Victoria Police in releasing today’s statement regarding the investigation,” the club said.

The Game AFL Finals 2026

Sydney Swans senior coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills fronted the media on Friday. Picture: NewsWire / Nadir Kinani
Camera IconSydney Swans senior coach Dean Cox and captain Callum Mills fronted the media on Friday. NewsWire / Nadir Kinani Credit: News Corp Australia

The club also moved to categorically deny any involvement by staff in the investigation.

“The Sydney Swans categorically confirms that no member of staff is involved in the investigation. This includes being in the hotel room central to the police investigation,” the statement said.

“The Club reiterates that no player has been interviewed by police at this stage.”

The police statement that “a number of people have been spoken to” comes after reports emerged this week that detectives had spoken to members of the Sydney Swans playing group.

The club has previously said the five players stood down over their conduct — Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice — were the only Swans representatives in the hotel room at the centre of the investigation.

All five players have denied criminal wrongdoing and no charges have been laid.

The Age has also reported that former Swans player Taylor Adams visited the hotel room at some point during the night. Adams is understood to be a close friend of Heeney.

Fresh allegations about what allegedly occurred inside the hotel room also emerged on Saturday morning, with reports one of the women was allegedly slapped on the buttocks four times after an agreement had been made for three slaps.

It has also been reported one of the women is considering civil legal action over the alleged conduct.

According to a new Code Sports report, cocaine and ketamine were allegedly being used inside the room.

The alleged incident occurred after the Swans defeated Essendon at the MCG on August 16, with two women reportedly attending the Pullman Hotel in East Melbourne in the early hours of the following morning.

Victoria Police said anyone with information about the matter should contact Crime Stoppers.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Victoria police full statement

“Detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad continue to investigate a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August.

The incident occurred at a hotel on Wellington Parade in the early hours of the morning.

The exact circumstances of the matter are still being established and a number of people have been spoken to.

As the investigation remains active and ongoing, we will not be commenting further including providing information on the specific circumstances of the matter, movements of detectives and any statements or interviews taken.

Where there is information that it is appropriate and beneficial to release then we will do so.

Anyone with information about the matter is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Victoria Police said on Saturday that detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad were continuing to investigate.
Camera IconVictoria Police said on Saturday that detectives from the Sexual Crimes Squad were continuing to investigate. Credit: News Corp Australia

Sydney Swans full statement

“The Sydney Swans supports the action taken by Victoria Police in releasing today’s statement regarding the investigation.

The Sydney Swans categorically confirms that no member of staff is involved in the investigation. This includes being in the hotel room central to the police investigation. The Club reiterates that no player has been interviewed by police at this stage.”

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 21: A general view of a staff uniform during a Sydney Swans AFLW press conference at Sydney Swans HQ on August 21, 2026 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)
Camera IconSYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 21: A general view of a staff uniform during a Sydney Swans AFLW press conference at Sydney Swans HQ on August 21, 2026 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images) Credit: Darrian Traynor/Getty Images

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails