Cause of bushfire unknown
Authorities are still unable to determine the cause of the Marbelup bushfire which burned through more than 300ha of bush and farm land last week.
At its peak 60 firefighters battled the blaze which was reported to the Department of Fire and Emergency Services just before 3pm on Wednesday.
It is thought to have started near the intersection of South Coast Highway and Marbelup North Road, burning 306ha.
An Albany police spokesman said at this stage it was not suspicious but investigations were ongoing.
“At this stage there’s no strong evidence of criminality,” he said. “There is nothing is yet to say this was deliberately lit. (but) we are not ruling anything out.
“If anyone has got any information in relation to how this fire was caused please come forward.”
An emergency warning was issued for the blaze on Wednesday afternoon but a wind change about 1am on Thursday brought the fire back on itself, quelling the immediate threat.
The alert level for the fire burning in Marbelup west of Albany has been downgraded to an Advice. City of Albany community emergency services manager Brendan Gordon commended the efforts of the emergency services but urged residents to be vigilant.
“Residents need to be vigilant and make sure they a have survival plan in place and if they haven’t done so now start preparing,” he said. “Watch out for arsonists and report any suspicious activity... if (you) do see flames and increase fire activity call triple 0.”
Firefighters are still mopping up the area and Mr Gordon said part of the clean-up will include a burnout along Marbelup Creek set for today.
Mr Gordon said residents can expect increased smoke and fire activity because of the planned burn.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails