Qld man charged over child abuse material
A man will face court for allegedly soliciting and possessing child abuse material in southeast Queensland.
Australian Federal Police initially raided the 37-year-old's Toowoomba home last week following a tip-off from US authorities.
He was charged at the time with child abuse offences and was due to appear in court in October.
But investigators examining a smartphone found at the man's home then allegedly found more "concerning" child abuse material and chat logs on the device.
AFP officers charged him with further child abuse offences on Saturday.
He's now facing up to 15 years in jail for allegedly accessing child abuse material using a carriage service, soliciting child abuse material using a carriage service and possessing or controlling child abuse material.
The man was denied bail and is due to appear in Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Monday.
AFP Detective Superintendent Paula Hudson said more predators were spending more time online due to the pandemic, but so were police.
"Sexual abuse has a devastating impact on children and their families and the AFP, with our partners, are relentless in our efforts to stamp it out," she said.
"The community may think that COVID-19 restrictions have stopped us from operational activity to protect children, but they are wrong."
Det Supt Hudson said investigators were constantly patrolling the internet and the dark web.
She said AFP officers were conducting raids and arresting offenders on a near-daily basis.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails