Cockburn police station: Man charged over alleged firebomb attempt ‘potentially motivated by vaccine mandates’
A man has been charged after trying to firebomb the Cockburn police station with a Molotov cocktail in what is understood to have been a protest against vaccine work mandates.
A 32-year-old man is accused of igniting a plastic bottle containing a flammable substance before allegedly throwing it in the direction of the station at around 4.30pm Wednesday.
Police Commissioner Chris Dawson alleged the man lit a small fire and appeared agitated when approached by police.
Mr Dawson confirmed the man from Success had a Molotov cocktail — an effective military-style petrol bomb — which he had lit.
The officers managed to subdue the man and then arrested him.
Mr Dawson said it was a very concerning incident and believed it was partly motivated by the “current mandated workforce issue” — most likely surrounding compulsory COVID vaccinations for certain sectors.
“We know emotions are running high in the community, but this is a very, very serious crime,” Mr Dawson said.
“We cannot have anyone doing these sort of crimes in the community that put them and others around them at great risk.
“People can be agitated about ideological views, but you cannot go around lighting fires and threatening to throw Molotov cocktails.”
Mr Dawson said the matter was dealt with swiftly and seriously by police.
The man from Success was taken into custody and charged with endangering life.
Mr Dawson said the man was refused bail and will undergo a mental health assessment.
The 32-year-old will appear in court today.
Mr Dawson said the State’s security team was monitoring similar situations, including threats made to Premier Mark McGowan and police.
“We do not take this lightly, it is a serious crime to threaten to kill people,” Mr Dawson said.
Mr McGowan shook his head while standing besides Mr Dawson — appearing shocked and disgusted by the behaviour of some of those who oppose the jab.
Mr McGowan went on to say no decision had been made on the border situations with NSW or Victoria, but strongly rejected the claim from 6PR that borders would open on February 1 next year with eight weeks of restrictions.
He also said delaying the border opening would not reduce the vaccine effectiveness for those who were jabbed several months ago.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails