Variety the spice for a Viper victor

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
Michael Cameron is all smiles even before winning his Viper race on Saturday with Bite Me.
Camera IconMichael Cameron is all smiles even before winning his Viper race on Saturday with Bite Me. Credit: Des Beeck

Viper skipper Michael Cameron believes variety is the spice of life after decades of sailing many different types of yachts.

He began as a junior member of Princess Royal Sailing Club in a Pelican and graduated to the bigger Mirror class in which he did well.

He moved up to a Moth scow followed by a Moth skiff before a Hobie catamaran.

Next he crewed for his father in a keel boat before taking up a Laser, which he sailed on and off.

He was successful in the recent Walpole regatta when he won the Laser championship.

The next yacht that he skippered was his own keel boat, a Flying Tiger design.

When Vipers were introduced to the club, out went the keel boat and he found himself doing well in Bite Me.

Last Saturday four Vipers sailed a harbour course and the keen rivalry with Murray Howson was in earnest.

These two bounded away from Tom Mears in Fang and Gary Eaton in Alice.

There was only seconds between Bite Me and Chinese Moccasin as they made good time in the 12-knot southerly, which was a change from the usual howling easterly.

Cameron maintained his lead to win narrowly over Howson, who took second place followed by Fang in third.

Division one sailed a King George Sound race and Murray Deere was very determined to do well against Harold Keay’s Shagabull and Geoff Oliver’s Excitabull.

Deere had Wild One in the lead throughoutand sailed an excellent race to take the coveted first and fastest. Oliver did extremely well to finish 49 seconds behind on corrected time to take second place.

Flying Fifteens begin their race which was won by Wayne North in Frequent Flyer.
Camera IconFlying Fifteens begin their race which was won by Wayne North in Frequent Flyer. Credit: Des Beeck

Division two also sailed a shorter KGS race, which had Stephen Lee in Flasheart pitted against Stephen Brown’s smaller Mary Maitland who had a decent handicap. Brown was able to stay close to Lee in the early stages of the event, but couldn’t match the speed later in the race as Lee took a creditable first and fastest by the margin of 21 seconds.

Division three sailed a harbour course and Mark Paynter in Serenita, who had been playing second fiddle to Rob Cridge in Noel Robbins for several weeks, surprised by having his maiden win on corrected time.

Cridge was well ahead in the early part of the race but Serenita closed the gap nearing the end and was rewarded for his effort.

Flying Fifteens sailed over a harbour course and the three yachts stayed close throughout.

The lighter wind suited Aileen Lucas in Crazy and Wayne North in Frequent Flyer, whereas Simon Lucas in FForever Young prefers heavier going. North sailed exceptionally well and although trailing the leaders was still close enough to score a win on corrected time, with Crazy second and FForever Young was third and fastest.

Aileen Lucas took second place with Crazy leaving Simon Lucas in third place but recording fastest time with FForever Young.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails