Third quarter blitz guides Tigers to upset win

Cameron Newbold & Tim EdmundsAlbany Advertiser
Railways' Bodhi Stubber gets his kick away as Royals' Trent Nesbitt tackles.
Camera IconRailways' Bodhi Stubber gets his kick away as Royals' Trent Nesbitt tackles. Credit: Laurie Benson Albany Advertiser

Railways have caused an early season upset, disposing of Royals by 28 points at Tigerland this afternoon to celebrate Haydn Sproxton’s milestone in style.

The final game of round 3 in the Great Southern Football League had plenty of drama before a ball was even bounced as an already weakened Lions side lost player-coach Andrew Ruck and Brody Ogle in the warm-up.

Forced to bring in two reserves players having already played a full game, the Lions conceded nine scoring shots and should have been further behind at quarter time if not for the wasteful Tigers in front of goal.

After going to the scoring end in the opening term the Tigers kicked an early once against the breeze in the second before the Lions got on the board.

The visitors three goals in the second term were cancelled out however by the Tigers, who conjured three of their own through brothers Logan and Bodhi Stubber and Liam Park to take a 16-point advantage into half time.

The home side did the damage in the third as they got on top in the midfield and began to get reward on the scoreboard, the margin quickly blowing out beyond 40 points.

Zak Hortin booted two in the term as the Tigers scored six goals to one and led by 52 points at the last change.

The Lions fought back to kick the only four goals of the last but it was too little, too late as they suffered their first defeat of the season, 8.7 (55) to 11.17 (83).

Sproxton was chaired from the ground after playing in his 150th league game for the Tigers, who move to 2-1 following the upset result.

Haydn Sproxton in the middle of the Tigers team song after celebrating his 150th league match with a win.
Camera IconHaydn Sproxton in the middle of the Tigers team song after celebrating his 150th league match with a win.

They lost Kleemann medallist Joel Want to injury but were best served by Logan Stubber and Mitch Green in midfield, Craig Frost at half back and skipper Bodhi Stubber.

The Lions were without a host of first choice players and star Steven Edwards injured his ankle but Brayden Parker was impressive along with Corey Ward and new big man Stephen Beal got better as the game wore on.

Mt Barker jumped off the bottom of the ladder after powering away in the second half to edge out Denmark-Walpole by 27 points at Sounness Park on Saturday afternoon.

Dangerous forward Dionne Woods and Jesse Wynne combined for 10 goals between them as the Bulls had too many answers in attack to run away winners, 14.13 (97) to 11.4 (70).

Woods booted five of his six majors in the second half while an inaccurate Wynne booted 4.8 to cause the Magpies defence headaches.

The visitors led by two points at half time after facing a 19-point deficit at the first change but could only boot three goals in the second half in a disappointing fade out to remain winless after three rounds.

Midfielder Tyler Stone (three goals) battled hard for the Magpies while wise heads Peter Taylor and Sam Lehmann were instrumental for the victors who celebrated defender Lee Pavlovich’s 100th game.

On Friday night, reigning premiers North Albany produced a dominant second half on their way to a third successive win.

Played under lights the first half was a terrific contest as the two sides traded goals with Albany leading for the majority of the first term.

The Sharks were reduced to 17 men before quarter time after midfielder Jack Banks was red carded and reported for striking Nic Barrow.

Banks was sent off for the remainder of the game and Barrow received a yellow card for wrestling as the Kangas led by a solidarity point at quarter time.

The Kangas kicked three of the four goals that came in the second term as they began to take control and by three quarter time had opened up a 21-point buffer which in the conditions was decisive.

Luke Cameron added two goals in the last to finish with four majors as Nathan Crudeli and Michael Trevenen led the way in an impressive 50-point victory.

The Sharks were left to lament a goalless second term as they went down, 4.6 (30) to 11.14 (80) despite the best efforts of Coen Marwick, Hamish Fuller and Taj Williams.

Royals women’s team celebrate their 2019 GSWFL grand final victory.
Camera IconRoyals women’s team celebrate their 2019 GSWFL grand final victory. Credit: Laurie Benson Albany Advertiser

Earlier the Lions won their maiden Great Southern Women’s Football League premiership, completing a perfect season with a 15-point win over the Tigers.

The Lions led by 18 points at half time and kept their opponents scoreless for three quarters as they won the second edition of the GSWFL, 2.6 (18) to 0.3 (3).

Renae Parsons was named best on ground in the grand final win.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails