Slick Storm book grand final place

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser
Great Southern Storm’s Cyrus Upson has been a key factor in his side reaching the grand final.
Camera IconGreat Southern Storm’s Cyrus Upson has been a key factor in his side reaching the grand final. Credit: Cameron Newbold

Great Southern Storm booked their place in tomorrow’s grand final at the Great Southern Colts Carnival after wins over Upper Great Southern Football and Ongerup Football Association today in Lake Grace.

The long-running carnival again has eight competing teams and the Storm, representing the Great Southern Football League, will play off for their first title since 2014 after beating Upper Great Southern in their semifinal this afternoon.

A 99-point win over Ongerup in their first match sent the Storm into a clash with Upper Great Southern for a place in the decider and first quarter goals from Cyrus Upson, Taj Williams and Alex Pearce gave the Storm a strong start.

Storm’s Jarrod Brack and Upper Great Southern’s Tom Coleman in the ruck.
Camera IconStorm’s Jarrod Brack and Upper Great Southern’s Tom Coleman in the ruck. Credit: Cameron Newbold

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Upper Great Southern were up for the challenge as they responded with five majors in the second to trim the margin to nine points.

Power forward Kieran Gowdie took a number of telling marks and he booted two goals in the third while Upson added his second as the Storm quickly raced 27 points ahead in the third.

However in the last five minutes, in the 15-minute quarter matches, Upper Great Southern kicked two against the tide to leave the game up for grabs heading into the last.

Jacob Jennings booted an early one for Upper Great Southern before steading goals from senior pair Pearce and Taj Williams guided the Storm to a 15-point victory.

Pearce was outstanding across the four quarters, the captain racking up possessions at will as he was joined in the best players by Nitan Benavides, Williams and Kieran Gowdie.

Storm’s Brent Parsons kicks from defence against Ongerup.
Camera IconStorm’s Brent Parsons kicks from defence against Ongerup. Credit: Cameron Newbold

Kieran Gowdie’s marking was a real highlight as the big man finished with three majors to go with the five he kicked earlier.

Brent Parsons, Poch Amores and Upson were also lively in the 11.9 (75) to 9.6 (60) win.

In their opening game the Storm had to withstand a strong first-half from Ongerup on their way to a comfortable 21.6 (132) to 5.3 (33) result.

The Storm held their rivals to a single goal after half time and kicked 13 of their own, led by exiting forward Coen Jackman and Kieran Gowdie.

That pair dominated in the air, Jackman booting three goals and Kieran Gowdie adding five in the last half while Talon Delacey and Williams also chipped in with three each.

Storm’s Ben Watson.
Camera IconStorm’s Ben Watson. Credit: Cameron Newbold

Midfielder Cody Kerr was impressive along with Pearce, Amores and Henrick Alforque.

The only concern from the win was a knee injury to defender Ryan Davies, which prevented him from taking the field against Upper Great Southern.

The Storm will play Lower South West Football League in tomorrow’s grand final at 1pm and will gain Hamish McMorran, who was unavailable today.

Head coach Glynn Verbruggen didn’t make the trip to Lake Grace, with the birth of his first child imminent, leaving Cameron Allison to take the reins.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails