Sharks lose bite after early promise

Tayler Neale and Taj StubberAlbany Advertiser

Railways recorded a comfortable 84-point win against Albany in sluggish conditions at Centennial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

The Sharks put up a fight in the opening term, but the Tigers were able to break clear after that point to finish with a 13.16 (94) to 1.4 (10) result.

The Tigers bagged the opening two goals through Coen Marwick and Laurie Dowsett before Anthony Coyne pegged back the deficit for the Sharks, leaving them 10 points down at quarter-time.

A big second quarter from the Tigers gave them five unanswered goals as they stamped their authority on the game and took a 41-point lead into the main break.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


With heavy rain hampering conditions, the Sharks struggled to attack in the second half as the Tigers maintained control of the contest to run away with their second straight win.

Marwick finished with six goals and remains in second spot on the goal kicking list, eight behind Mt Barker’s Kym Monteath.

Tigers recruit Noah Moore impressed through the midfield, while Matt Van Schayk and Tom Wolfe were also strong contributors.

For the Sharks Tait McLean and Etiene Vorster battled hard all day in the wet.

Tigers player-coach Craig Frost said the tough conditions made it hard to measure where his side was at.

“It was a bit of a slog-fest out there with the weather so it was an ugly game of footy,” he said.

“The Sharks started pretty well but we managed to get on top in the second quarter and got the job done in the end.

“We didn’t get too much out of the game given the conditions but we’ll get a few back next week.”

Sharks coach Scott Sedgwick said his side was hampered byseveral injuries.

“Injuries really got us — we finished with 17 on the ground,” he said.

“It wasn’t a pretty game of footy.”

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails