Several farm machines destroyed in Napier fire
A fire destroyed hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machinery in a shed on a Napier property on Thursday.
The Department of Fire and Emergency Services issued a bushfire alert for parts of Napier after the fire started just after 11am in a farm shed off Takenup Road.
Nearly 50 firefighters attended the blaze, thought to have been sparked by an electrical fault.
The blaze was brought under control by about 1pm and contained to the shed.
Several machines inside the shed were destroyed, and the shed itself. City of Albany chief bushfire control officer Gary Duncan said the fire could have been even worse given strong winds and surrounding environment.
“It was a suspected electrical fault in one of the machines and has caused an estimated $800,000 to $900,000 worth of damage,” he said.
“A shed has been lost along with a ute, truck and hay baler. It was a very good response by the vollies and Albany fire and rescue officers, they answered the call promptly.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails