Second-half goals secure grand final berth

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser

Manypeaks’ hopes of a fourth premiership in the five years remain alive after they proved too strong for Mt Barker in the Lower Great Southern Hockey Association women’s A-grade preliminary final on Saturday afternoon.

After claiming a hat-trick of titles from 2013-15, Peaks missed out on last season’s grand final but they will again play off in this year’s decider, progressing with a 2-0 result to set up a clash with North Albany

In a dour opening half, neither side could break the deadlock, with Peaks unsuccessful in three penalty corner attempts while Mt Barker, led by Jess McPartland, survived being two players down from green cards almost simultaneously to snuff out Peaks’ third set piece.

Manypeaks' Meg Slattery takes on Mt Barker's Lani Frusher.
Camera IconManypeaks' Meg Slattery takes on Mt Barker's Lani Frusher. Credit: Albany Advertiser

However, just three minutes into the second half, with her twin sister and Hockeyroo Kathryn Slattery watching on, Peaks striker Meg Slattery scored a penalty corner conversion to put her side a goal ahead.

With experienced duo Courtney Robinson and Renae Parsons setting the tone, Peaks began to gain more control of the match and it was the latter who fired home their second goal.

With 15 minutes elapsed in the second half, Parsons scored from a penalty corner, calmly slotting her shot into the top right corner.

Minutes later, Mt Barker saved a third goal but could not conjure any decent shots on goal at the other end despite five penalty corners across 70 minutes.

Mt Barker's Laura Archer gets set to clear the ball.
Camera IconMt Barker's Laura Archer gets set to clear the ball. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Gemma Pyle was resolute in defence for Peaks and was well supported by Parsons, Robinson and Abbey Davies.

Mt Barker were well served by Casey Doak in midfield and McPartland.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails