RECIPE: Orange and poppy seed cake
50g poppy seeds
185g unsalted butter, room temperature
225g caster sugar
4 tbsp orange zest, finely grated
3 eggs (free range)
225g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
100ml orange juice
1 jar Vinofood spiced orange & riesling syrup
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
2. Combine poppy seeds and milk in a bowl and let stand for 20 min.
3. Lightly grease and line 20cm round cake tin.
4. Beat the butter, sugar and orange zest together until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined.
6. Stir in flour, baking powder, semolina, orange juice and poppy seed and milk mixture.
7. Pour into cake tin and bake for 55 minutes or until cooked.
8. Cool on wire rack.
9. Serve warm with cream and drizzled with Vinofood spiced orange and rielsing syrup, fresh cream and a sprinkling of icing sugar.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails