A distraught Albany couple is calling for warning signs and more awareness about the dangers posed by sea hares on local beaches after the death of their 10-month-old puppy. Kristee Nostrini rushed Obi, her toy cavoodle, to Albany Veterinary Hospital last week when he collapsed after a walk along Frenchman Bay beach. Until then, Obi had shown no signs that anything was wrong during a 40-minute walk with Ms Nostrini, a disability support client and her other dog, a five-year-old great dane mastiff named Karli. Ms Nostrini’s partner, Tom Eaton, said that within 10 minutes of leaving the beach on Tuesday, Obi had died. “He started convulsing, spewing up and just fitting,” he said. “The vet reckons he had consumed or just licked a sea hare on the beach.” The toxins produced by sea hares can be harmful for dogs if ingested, causing excessive drooling, trembling, muscle weakness or spasms, vomiting, seizures and even death. Dogs that show these symptoms after a trip to the beach should be taken to a vet. Mr Eaton, 22, has lived in Albany since he was eight, while Ms Nostrini, 23, has always lived in Albany. But neither of them were aware of sea hares and the dangers they posed to pets before the incident. “As much as it sucks that it has happened to us, we just want to get the message out so that nobody else has to suffer through this,” he said. “We’d be pushing for some sort of signage out there — something addressing the fact there are sea hares in this region and the nearest vets are so far away. “Just some sort of warning.” The Advertiser reported on a similar incident in 2020 when a visiting Perth couple’s cavoodle puppy died after a walk at the nearby Goode Beach. Greg and Caroline Abbott called for the City to install warning signs at beaches after their beloved Smudgy died. At the time, the City of Albany said signage was “costly and ineffective” due to the amount of unrestricted coastline. However last week, a spokeswoman said the City planned to incorporate a specific message on new entrance signs at coastal locations. “This message states that dangerous sea creatures may exist in the vicinity,” the City spokeswoman said. (The) community should be aware that they could encounter our natural wildlife at any time and remain vigilant.” Mr Eaton said incorporating imagery and a description of sea hares would make for a more effective warning. “A lot people don’t know what they look like so they could be getting warned about something they won’t even recognise,” he said. “We walk along multiple beaches — Ledge Beach, Gull Rock Beach and all around — and we’ve never seen any sort of signage. “I’d just hate for it to happen to someone else if it could be avoided.” Three days after Obi’s death, the Advertiser was contacted by Albany woman Jo Hayes who said she had come across a sea hare at Frenchman Bay beach. Ms Hayes sent a photo of the sea hare which she had encountered while walking her pet rottweiler.