Police probe stolen car, Yakamia fire

Jessica CuthbertAlbany Advertiser
Superintendent Ian Clarke.
Camera IconSuperintendent Ian Clarke. Credit: Jessica Cuthbert

Police are continuing investigations into a stolen car that was torched, starting a fire in Yakamia.

More than 50 firefighters and water bombers battled the blaze, which flared in bushland near Hudson Road about 12.30pm yesterday.

It tore through more than 10ha of bushland, with strong winds fanning it close to homes.

An emergency warning was issued for residents in the area, with firefighters and police door-knocking at homes near Hudson, Range and Target roads and Barnesby Drive.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Superintendent Ian Clarke said police are continuing inquires of the stolen vehicle that was driven to the area and torched, starting the blaze.

“Between 9am and 12.30pm yesterday this car, what was a beige Holden Captiva was parked at the Plaza shopping centre, the vehicle has been stolen in that location, driven here at the end of Hudson road on a bush track, it’s been dumped and set on fire which has subsequently caused the large fire in Yakamia,” he said.

“At this stage we are looking for any witnesses that may have seen the vehicle driving around during that time, we are also looking for any footage people may have at their homes or dash cam footage that people might have, in particular two adult males who were seen running from the scene.”

The vehicle was stolen and set on fire causing the fire.
Camera IconThe vehicle was stolen and set on fire causing the fire. Credit: Jessica Cuthbert

Supt Clarke said penalties depend on the outcome of the bushfire.

“Certainly from the perspective of creating a bushfire that has occurred like this, is quite severe penalties up to imprisonment,” he said.

“It put people’s lives at risk, it put people’s property at risk and of course we have to recognise the outstanding effort of our fire fighters and the volunteers.”

“They did a tremendous job in keeping this fire to minimise any damage apart form a few fences, we are extremely lucky there wasn’t more damage, as this is in the middle of suburbia and there are so many houses around.”

Supt. Clarke said police are continuing their investigations.

“Our investigators were on scene almost immediately and since we discovered the car, they took immediate action around starting the investigation and from there were able to establish some lines of inquiry,” he said.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails