Only a handful of yachts venture out to sail in harbour course events as Lloyd Pascoe wins in new boat

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
Arkessa heads for the finish line to record her first victory.
Camera IconArkessa heads for the finish line to record her first victory. Credit: Des Beeck

Not too many yachts ventured out for last Saturday’s racing as some skippers had other commitments and a few are still getting their boats ready for competition, leaving only a handful to set sail in harbour course events.

In division one, Murray Deere in Wild One was raring to go but his opposition, Geoff Oliver, had rigging problems before the start and was too late to begin so both skippers went for practice sails to brush away the winter cobwebs.

Division three had four starters and Lloyd Pascoe was having his first outing with his recently acquired Arkessa.

Also having his first race after a long absence was Bob Giles, skippering Footloose.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Karen Timmins was another eager contestant with Grey Moose, and Mark Paynter, fresh from his win last weekend, joined in again with Saxon.

Pascoe, with an all-female crew, won the start and showed good speed upwind.

He led the fleet until Giles hoisted a spinnaker to pass him and take the lead.

Lloyd Pascoe wins the start, and the race, in Arkessa.
Camera IconLloyd Pascoe wins the start, and the race, in Arkessa. Credit: Des Beeck

The three others had opted to sail JAM (jib and main) so Giles would have to be a long way in front to do any good.

The light south-easterly, which never reached seven knots, began to drop out and the course was shortened.

Giles was still leading on the second-last leg, with Pascoe right behind. Timmins, who had started promisingly, dropped off the pace as the wind lessened, but was doing well.

Saxon was battling to stay with the fleet and fell further behind without any breeze.

As the leaders neared the Princess Royal Sailing Club stake, Giles fell in a hole, leaving Pascoe to take the lead with Arkessa.

He went on to win easily and to record the fastest time in a wonderful debut with the new boat.

Grey Moose took second place on corrected time, with Giles getting third, but happy to be back in action.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails