Lions fast start sinks Sharks

Cameron Newbold & Tim EdmundsAlbany Advertiser
Royals' Tom Maslen was influential in his side’s win today.
Camera IconRoyals' Tom Maslen was influential in his side’s win today. Credit: Laurie Benson Albany Advertiser

Royals have cruised to their second win of the 2019 Great Southern Football League, courtesy of their terrific opening half against Albany at Centennial Stadium this afternoon.

In the final match of round 2, the Lions stormed out of the blocks on a back of a dynamic three-goal first term from elusive small forward Jayson Ford.

They led by 28 points at the first change and then, going against a stiff breeze in the second, moved the ball well to create forward 50 entries as a fourth to Ford, a second to Jaiden Alison followed by majors from player-coach Andrew Ruck and veteran Mitch Curnow pushed the margin beyond 40 points.

The Sharks trailed by 49 points at half time and produced a much better second half, but they were outgunned in the end as the high of last week’s win was quickly dissolved with a 3.8 (26) to 13.14 (92) defeat.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Corey Ward, Dave Parker, Jordan Heil and Tom Maslen were all key contributors in the win while Ford was the difference up forward booting 5.4.

Albany's Marlin Bennett gets his handball out as Royals' Mitch Curnow tackles.
Camera IconAlbany's Marlin Bennett gets his handball out as Royals' Mitch Curnow tackles. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Injuries to Tyrese Pickett-Miller and the returning Hamish McMorran added to a growing list but it didn’t halt the Lions charge.

The Sharks were best served by Rick Wallis, Brock Tiede and Coen Marwick while defensive pair Mitch Jackson and Dylan Gowdie battled hard.

A relieved North Albany withstood a spirited challenge from Denmark-Walpole to run away with a 41-point win on Saturday night under lights at Collingwood Park.

However the Kangas second win from as many starts was not as straight forward as many expected as the Magpies rattled the home side throughout the first three quarters.

The 15.17 (107) to 9.12 (66) win came after a seven-goal-to-one final term after leading by just four points at the final change.

The Kangas could not shrug the Magpies who led twice in the third quarter and constantly threatened through key forward Shayne Zanetti (four goals), returning veteran Dave MacDonald and player-coach Ryan Gaerth.

A prolific second half from key midfielder Michael Treveven and four-quarter efforts from Nathan Crudeli, the versatile Jacob Hobbs and youngster Talon Delacey (four goals) ensured the Kangas would remain undefeated.

At Sounness Park yesterday, Railways recorded their first win under new coach Troy Leo as they booted six goals to run out 27-point winners over Mt Barker.

It was an absorbing first half contest between two sides that were round 1 losers, with scores level at half time.

Railways' Bodhi Stubber clears from defence.
Camera IconRailways' Bodhi Stubber clears from defence. Credit: Albany Advertiser

The Tigers were able to break clear in the third term as their midfield got on top, thanks to mobile ruckman Shane Braimbridge and classy duo Logan Stubber and Joel Want.

Three goals to one had the visitors 10 points ahead and the two sides traded goals for much of the last term until the Tigers kicked the final three majors of the contest to run out winners, 13.9 (87) to 8.12 (60).

Logan Stubber and Want were outstanding in the middle, Braimbridge was a force in the ruck while Kane Shephard (two goals) was lively and Zak Hortin (three) had a enthralling battle with Bulls fullback Adam Tissott.

Evergreen Bulls pair Peter Taylor and Sam Lehmann gave everything for the home side and Dionne Woods finished with 3.6 up front.

The Bulls lost Nic Chidgzey to a serious shoulder injury before half time and the Tigers did a terrific job in shutting down the dangerous Jesse Wynne.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails