Kangas trounce wounded Bulls

Staff reportersAlbany Advertiser
North Albany's Jack McPhee attempts to break clear of Mt Barker's Dionne Woods.
Camera IconNorth Albany's Jack McPhee attempts to break clear of Mt Barker's Dionne Woods. Credit: Laurie Benson

For the second time this season North Albany have thrashed Mt Barker and as a result tightened their grip on second spot after an intriguing round 10 of the Great Southern Football League.

Both sides entered this afternoon’s clash at Collingwood Park level on 24 points and separated by only percentage but it was the Kangas who took big steps towards a top two finish after running out emphatic 99-point winners.

Despite missing three key senior players the Bulls kicked with a strong breeze and scored the opening goal through Kym Monteath.

However things changed quickly as the Kangas booted four goals pushing up into the wind to take a 16-point lead into quarter time.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


The home side began the second term strongly, taking full advantage of the breeze as they extended the margin beyond 30 points until Joel Gray ended a run of eight Kangas goals.

Not even that could lift the visitors however as they trailed by 42 points at the long break and then lost Monteath and resolute defender Adam Tissott both to hamstring injuries either side of half time.

From there the Kangas took full control as they booted 11 goals to two in a dominant second half on their way a big result, 20.14 (134) to 4.11 (35).

Midfield trio Michael Trevenen, Matt Orzel and Jack McPhee were all vital in setting up the victory, Mitch Lenegan and Graham Ross were terrific in defence and Taj Williams finished with four goals.

Mt Barker's Joel Gray looks to handball as North Albany's Marcus Trevenen moves in.
Camera IconMt Barker's Joel Gray looks to handball as North Albany's Marcus Trevenen moves in. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Tyron Miller was outstanding in a heavy defeat for the Bulls, who are counting the costs with injuries to their two key pillars.

Albany missed a golden opportunity to register just their second ever league win, falling short by three points to ladder leaders Railways at Centennial Stadium on Saturday night.

The Tigers were forced to survive an almighty scare as the Sharks failed to capitalise on the momentum in the final two minutes of the match to pinch a match-winning goal at the scoring end.

Trailing by three points after ruckman Stewart Davies slotted a long 40m set shot, the Sharks could not find a target inside 50 to steal back the lead.

The ladder leaders were forced to defend dourly in the final minutes and held on with the siren sounding on the Sharks half-forward line, winning 7.11 (53) to 8.2 (50).

The Sharks led by one point at half time after booting five consecutive goals in arguably their best quarter of the season but the match was thrown into uncertainty after an ambulance was called in the third term to treat Sharks defender Luke Pitman.

The ambulance was called after Pitman went down after being tackled with play delayed for the next 23 minutes.

With the third quarter only lasting seven minutes after it was brought to an end due to the delay in play, both sides battled for ascendency in the last term with scores tied at three quarter time.

In yesterday’s early game Denmark-Walpole failed to kick a goal in the second half as their finals hopes slipped further away after Royals’ gutsy 14-point win at McLean Park.

The Magpies started brilliantly kicking four goals in the first and they should have been further in front but wasted their dominance of possession going forward.

Royals' Dylan Ford attempts to mark ahead of Denmark-Walpole's Jaden Guidi.
Camera IconRoyals' Dylan Ford attempts to mark ahead of Denmark-Walpole's Jaden Guidi. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Cent Amores snared the Lions second goal just after quarter time but the Magpies responded immediately as goals to Liam Park and a third to Tyler Stone had them in total control.

The Lions however kept plugging away and two late majors from Joel Flick and then the dangerous Harry Broomhall reduced the half time deficit to 13 points.

It was like a different Magpies side came out after the main break, as the Lions began to get right on top in the midfield while Ryan Kinnear roamed freely to set them up from half back.

The Lions kicked the only two goals of the third to hit the front by three quarter time before skipping clear in the last to win, 9.5 (59) to 6.9 (45).

Broomhall finished with three goals in a lively display while the returning Sam Baddeley-Holmes worked his way into the game, kicking two majors in the final term.

Kinnear and ruckman Nathan Powell were very effective while Aaron Gliosca helped limit the impact of Ryan Gaerth after he ran rampant in the opening half.

Gaerth was superb in the first, Sam Finigan was rock solid in defence and forward duo Park and Stone were also strong contributors but the loss leaves the Magpies hopes of playing finals on a thread.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails