Kangas finish on top in drama-filled final round

Staff reportersAlbany Advertiser

North Albany have claimed the minor premiership and finished on top of the Great Southern Football League ladder after notching a 20-point win over rivals Royals this afternoon in the final round of the regular season.

In a exciting culmination to the home and away season, the top three teams were all a live hope of finishing on top of the ladder but after a drama-filled afternoon it will be the Kangas that will host next week’s second semifinal.

The Kangas were held scoreless in their round 15 clash at Collingwood Park as the Lions opened up a 15 point advantage by the first break.

However the home side hit back with four majors in the second quarter but their 10-point half time lead was quickly erased when the Lions booted three consecutive goals to end the third term.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


With scores level at the last change, and Mt Barker trailing out the road at Sounness Park, top spot was set to be decided in the final quarter but it was the Kangas who made all the running.

Two classy goals to livewire Jesse Wynne and a third to captain Graham Ross guided the Kangas to a 8.11 (59) to 5.9 (39) win.

Jack McPhee, Wynne and Ross were all influential for the Kangas while Michael McGlade and Tyron Smallwood were the Lions best players.

North Albany’s Stef Ericson.
Camera IconNorth Albany’s Stef Ericson.

There was conjecture about the final result with the Kangas playing Stef Ericson who was not listed on the official team sheet but it is understood to be a $250 fine rather than the club losing the four premiership points.

The GSFL will confirm any action on the incident early in the week.

Meanwhile at Sounness Park the Bulls hopes of a top finish were dashed by Railways who recorded an upset 28-point win.

The Tigers kicked five goals in the third term after scores were level at half time, Zane Marwick and Bodhi Stubber leading the way in the 13.12 (90) to 9.8 (62) result.

The Bulls were best served by Adam Tissott and David Stone but needed a win to force their way into the top two and as a result have finished third.

Denmark-Walpole kept Albany winless for the season holding off the Sharks by 18 points in slippery conditions at Centennial Stadium.

The Sharks led at quarter time by five points with the breeze but play was delayed for 30 minutes as an ambulance was called after Sharks forward Jordan Oldfield suffered a sickening broken leg in a collision with teammate Stewart Davies.

Denmark-Walpole’s Luke Cameron and Albany’s Jordan Wallam fly for a mark.
Camera IconDenmark-Walpole’s Luke Cameron and Albany’s Jordan Wallam fly for a mark.

When play resumed the Magpies finished the term the stronger to lead by 21 points at the major break.

The Sharks bridged the margin to two points after an inspired three goal third term but a goal on the siren to Shayne Zanetti gave the Magpies the momentum.

Zanetti booted three goals after missing most of the season as the Magpies registered their fourth win for the season, 9.11 (65) to 7.5 (47).

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails