Kangas face cut-throat finals clash

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser

Defending premiers Kangas 1 will face an elimination first semifinal against Grammar 1 this Saturday after failing to crack into the top two during the last round of the regular season in the Albany Netball Association A1 competition on Saturday.

With a vast amount of changes from last year’s premiership team, Kangas entered round 14 needing a massive win over Narrikup 1 and other results to go their way to leap into the top two and secure a finals double chance.

Narrikup's Sarah Horgan takes possession.
Camera IconNarrikup's Sarah Horgan takes possession. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Kangas were able to cruise to victory in their clash with Narrikup but the 26-goal result still left them in third place and sets up a sudden-death encounter with the young Grammar outfit in week one of the finals.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


A 16-goal first quarter was clearly the difference between the two sides as Kangas opened up a commanding 11-goal buffer by quarter-time.

Narrikup's Tina Mundy looks to pass off.
Camera IconNarrikup's Tina Mundy looks to pass off. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Veteran Kate Minter was in terrific touch in centre, while forwards Jodie Wignall and Marcia Trevenen feasted on the supply to set up Kangas’ ninth win of the season.

Kangas’ defence was also rock-solid, keeping Narrikup to four goals in the third term, with Rachel Willcocks impressing.

Kangas' Rachel Willcocks defends Narrikup's Pippa Maslen.
Camera IconKangas' Rachel Willcocks defends Narrikup's Pippa Maslen. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Narrikup tried hard to bridge the gap but they were simply no match for their opponents, who netted another 14 goals in the fourth term to win 47-21.

The hardworking Pippa Maslen and defender Tina Mundy battled on bravely for Narrikup in the loss.

Meanwhile, Royals Saints 1 leapt back to top spot, claiming the minor premiership after thrashing Bethel 1 by 30 goals.

Grand finalists last season, Royals Saints were clinical in the opening term as they outscored Bethel 16-6 and by half-time had pushed the deficit out to 21 goals.

Bethel fought back well in the third quarter but went down 25-55 at the final whistle as Royals Saints now face Magpies 1 in the second semifinal.

In the other game, Grammar overcame a slow start to defeat Kangas 2 and take winning form into the finals.

Kangas led 10-8 at quarter-time but were left to rue a two-goal third term as Grammar netted 26 goals in the last half on their way to a 43-24 win.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails