GSFL probe into Stubber broken jaw

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser

An investigation into an incident in which Railways captain Bodhi Stubber sustained a broken jaw was continuing last night, with several people who were at the Mt Barker and Tigers clash at Sounness Park called to give evidence.

The Tigers skipper left the field under the blood rule midway through the third term and was later taken to hospital where it was confirmed he had a broken jaw.

Stubber had a plate inserted to fix the break at Fiona Stanley Hospital in Perth on Sunday afternoon.

He did return to the field briefly during Sunday’s clash but was immediately called back to the bench.

No player was reported or sent from the ground with a yellow or red card by umpires Scott Ganzer and Craig Tonkin and no comments were noted on the umpires’ match report.

Great Southern Football League president Joe Burton confirmed yesterday there was no official tribunal case surrounding the incident at time of print but said that could change after investigators heard from several people last night.

“People have been notified and are being called in to give evidence on the incident,” Burton said.

“It will only go to the tribunal if there is clear-cut evidence suggesting it needs to be taken further.

“Incidents (with serious injury) we will not take lightly but it all depends on what comes out in the evidence.”

Burton declined to comment on which players, officials or other people at the game had been called to give evidence.

The Albany Advertiser understands players from both teams, umpires and spectators will be among those presenting evidence to investigators and from there a decision will be made as to whether the matter needs to be referred to the tribunal.

In a separate matter, the GSFL tribunal sat last night with Royals’ Aaron Glisoca, who was facing a charge of rough conduct for an alleged dangerous tackle on North Albany’s Taj Williams.

Get the latest news from in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails