Group meets with minister to push for anti-violence fund reinstatement

Daryna ZadvirnaAlbany Advertiser
Southern Aboriginal Corporation chief executive Asha Bhat.
Camera IconSouthern Aboriginal Corporation chief executive Asha Bhat. Credit: Laurie Benson/Albany Advertiser

Southern Aboriginal Corporation leaders met with Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt last week to push for the reinstatement of funding for their national body.

SAC was one of 14 National Family Violence Prevention Legal Services Forum members which sent representatives to Canberra last Thursday to put forward a three-year plan for their national body.

The meeting followed the Federal Government's announcement in December that funding for the National FVPLS secretariat would cease on June 30.

Mr Wyatt said the Government would distribute the $244,000 funding allocation for the secretariat across each of the 14 FVPLS providers to enable them to be directly involved in a “co-design process”.

SAC chief executive Asha Bhat, pictured, said the main aim of the meeting was to reinstate the funding for the national secretariat to ensure the services had a national voice.

“We want the allocation of additional funds (for the separate services) to come directly to our national body, so that members can work up options for a sustainable and well-resourced national body,” Ms Bhat said.

“The proposal also included future resources for capacity building, training and resource development for all member organisations, and the transitioning to a self-determined structure.”

Ms Bhat said Mr Wyatt had vowed to discuss the proposal with the National Indigenous Australians Agency.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails