Great Southern Storm rebound strongly to beat Ongerup after opening loss at colts carnival ends grand final hopes

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldThe West Australian
Tom Wolfe drives his team into attack against Ongerup.
Camera IconTom Wolfe drives his team into attack against Ongerup. Credit: Cameron Newbold

A percentage boosting win over Ongerup has helped Great Southern Storm book a place in tomorrow’s third and fourth playoff at the Great Southern Colts Carnival in Kulin.

The Storm’s run of grand final appearances was ended in their first match of the day, losing to the Peel Cavaliers by 21 points but they rebounded strongly to beat Ongerup by 199 points and will face Goldfields tomorrow morning.

It was a one-sided affair against their neighbouring rivals Ongerup as the powerful Storm midfield dominated from the outset and piled on nine goals in a clinical first term.

Kieran Gowdie had three goals by half time as Storm led by 105 points and the margin only extended in the last half with Jayden Scott very strong around stoppages, Kalin Lane a real force in the ruck and young pair Codey Baxter and Alex Pearce also very influential.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


Storm held Ongerup goalless for the match as they ran out winners, 29.26 (200) to 0.1 (1), and had 14 individual goal kickers.

Jacob Blight, Rivah Bocian, Nic Finlay, Kieran Gowdie, Liam Park and Taj Williams all kicked three majors in the win.

There was a controversial moment during the match with Ongerup calling for a headcount during the third term after believing Storm had 19 players on the field.

Umpires called for a head count only to find each side with 18 players on the field and the game resumed as normal.

Earlier in the day the Storm’s hopes of reaching an eighth straight grand final at the annual carnival were finished by Peel.

After starting brightly with livewire Nelson Kent kicking two classy goals to open campaign, the Storm conceded three goals to be four points down at quarter time.

Peel dominated the second term and should have all but ended the contest, kicking 5.7 as they starved Storm of ball in their attacking half.

Goals to Bocian and then Williams helped Storm peg the margin back in the third but key forward Cody O’Donnell booted his second to give Peel a 31-point buffer at the last change.

There was a glimmer of hope for the Storm when they kicked the first two majors of the final stanza but O’Donnell again steadied at the other end.

However some clean clearance work and better ball use going forward helped Storm rally against a slight breeze as goals to Scott and Bocian got the margin back to 14 points.

Scott nailed his second, a lovely long set shot, to reduce the deficit to seven points with 12 minutes played.

A freak dribble goal from Matthew Bennell and then a fourth to O’Donnell ensured Peel prevailed, 12.12 (84) to 9.9 (63).

Storm skipper Jack Steel was superb along with Scott, Baxter and wingman Tom Wolfe while Bocian, Kent and Scott were the multiple goal kickers.

The Storm face Goldfields at 11am tomorrow to decide third and fourth place while Lower South West and Peel both remain unbeaten and will face off in the decider at 1pm.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails