Ford cops three-game suspension

Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser
Royals' Jayson Ford celebrates a goal with teammates in NAIDOC Round against North Albany.
Camera IconRoyals' Jayson Ford celebrates a goal with teammates in NAIDOC Round against North Albany. Credit: Albany Advertiser

Royals forward Jayson Ford was handed a three-match ban at Monday night’s tribunal for striking North Albany’s Ian Robson during their NAIDOC Round fixture at Centennial Stadium on July 7.

Ford was sent to the tribunal after the Great Southern Football League completed an investigation lodged by the Kangas following the first-quarter incident that left Robson with a broken nose.

Robson came from the ground bleeding on the verge of quarter time and went to hospital, taking no further part in the Kangas’ loss.

There were minimal witnesses to the incident after a 100m penalty was being paid by the umpires further up the ground and no vision was recorded either.

At the time Ford was not reported by the umpires but the follow-up investigation by the GSFL led to him being charged.

Ford faced the three-member tribunal on Monday and pleaded guilty to striking Robson.

After hearing evidence from both players the tribunal deliberated before suspending Ford.

In reaching the outcome it was noted that this was the first time Ford had appeared in front of the tribunal and he had never previously been reported while playing.

Ford has kicked 24 goals in eight games for the Lions this season, including three bags of five.

Lions coach Andrew Ruck, who represented Ford in the hearing, said they accept the penalty.

“Obviously a disappointing result on Monday losing one of the competition’s best forwards for three weeks after an unfortunate incident,” Ruck said.

“The club will support Jayson through this period, as he has acknowledged his mistake, apologised and shown remorse.

“We look forward to seeing him out there later in the year.”

Ford will miss matches against Mt Barker, Albany and Railways.

North Albany president Iian Woods said his club was comfortable with the verdict.

“The outcome is fine,” Woods said. “The tribunal heard the evidence and made their decision.

“The only thing I’ll say from a club point of view, I’ve seen a few ugly incidents since I’ve been involved and I think we as clubs need to take more responsibility for what’s happening.

“I’m not having a crack at any clubs and we are no angels either, but going forward we all need to be responsible and not be reliant on the tribunal.”

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails