Fire evacuation plan urged after lucky escape

Tim EdmundsAlbany Advertiser

Firefighters have stressed the importance of residents having a fire evacuation plan after a woman managed to escape a house fire in Albany today.

Albany Fire and Rescue were called to the home on Seymour Street at 11.45am after roof insulation caught fire and spread to the kitchen.

Three firefighting units extinguished the fire within an hour but an estimated $30,000 damage was caused.

Albany Fire and Rescue station officer Greg Marshall said it took two firefighters in breathing apparatus and one hose reel to douse the fire after it was believed it began from exhaust fan wiring overheating the insulation.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


“That has caused an exhaust fan to melt, fall down onto a benchtop, which has set the plastic door of a microwave on fire,” he said. “So there was flame in the roof and lower on the bench.

“The lady was home at the time and some orange caught her eye and she got out and called us and did the right thing.”

Mr Marshall said the occupant quickly got out of the home and waved down fire crews.

“It’s important to have a fire plan. Should it happen, what are you going to do and where are you going to evacuate to,” he said.

“She went to the next block so we could see her.”

Mr Marshall said it was crucial insulation was not placed over wiring and especially downlights.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails