Federation Cup replay decision looms

Headshot of Cameron Newbold
Cameron NewboldAlbany Advertiser
Caledonians' Nicholas Fox runs onto the ball in the initial Federation Cup final.
Camera IconCaledonians' Nicholas Fox runs onto the ball in the initial Federation Cup final. Credit: Laurie Benson

The Great Southern Soccer Association met last night, when it was expected to decide when the Federation Cup final will be replayed after the initial fixture was abandoned after the lights around the ground went out during extra time.

Caledonians and Phoenix were locked together at 1-1 after a late equaliser from Phoenix nearing the end of normal time on September 15.

Almost at the end of the first period of extra time, the playing lights went out as per the GSSA booking, but despite coming back on soon afterwards, officials made the decision to abandon the fixture given how late it was and the fact players had cooled down.

Last week the GSSA indicated the cup final would be replayed this week once an agreement was reached with both participating teams.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


However, it appears likely the game will be played on the multipurpose ground behind the PCYC, with the main pitch used for the cup finals last week already being prepared for the upcoming cricket season.

In a statement to the Advertiser yesterday, the GSSA confirmed it was confident of having a rescheduled date after last night’s committee meeting.

“The rescheduling of the cup final is due to be finalised during the committee meeting this evening,” the statement said.

“Details will be posted on social media as soon as they are available.” Phoenix player-coach Shannon Korthuis said not being able to finish the game on the night had been frustrating.

“Our team was quite frustrated at the time but rules are rules,” he said.

“We are happy to play the whole game again.

“We are hoping for Thursday night but I think it’s still really up in the air.”

Caledonians coach Martin Loveridge said their club was waiting for correspondence from the GSSA. “As far as I’m aware there is no date. At this stage we haven’t heard anything from the association,” Loveridge said.

“We’d like to have finished it on the night but there is nothing we can do about it.

“You can’t play 15 minutes, you have to play the full 90 minutes.

“It’s up to the association really, but we will reply with a yes or no to that date because we have guys working weeknights and guys away so we have to get in touch with them.”

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails