Draft budget open to public comment

Tayler NealeAlbany Advertiser

The Shire of Plantagenet’s 2017-18 draft budget will be open for public comment next Tuesday, with an expected rates rise of between 2 per cent and 4 per cent.

The draft budget totals $16.1 million for the new financial year, compared with $22 million last year, and includes $11.1 million operating expenditure and $5 million capital expenditure.

Shire deputy chief executive John Fathers said there were some important projects for the 2017-18 year.

“Major items include the continued refurbishment of Frost Park Pavilion, stage two of the Kendenup Agricultural Grounds development and the completion of the refurbishment of the Mt Barker District Hall,” he said.

The Frost Park refit includes the removal of old carpet and tiles.

Changes to rubbish collection fees and minimum rates have also been flagged.

The rubbish collection charge will increase from $195 to $200, while the minimum rate will rise from $860 to $880.

Mr Fathers also indicated there were planned plant replacement purchases.

“Proposed plant purchases include the replacement of the CAT 928H loader, CAT 924 front end loader, Kanga 524 digger, Isuzu GIGA truck and Kenworth DAF FATCF85 tip truck,” he said.

“The council has a committee critically reviewing all plant expenditures, which is reviewing some different options than those predicted in the Shire’s plant replacement program.

“The budget proposals are preliminary at this stage.

“Final decisions will be based on, among other things, comments from the public and a more refined carried-forward financial position at the time of the budget adoption in mid-July.”

The information session will be held at the Council Chambers at 6.30pm on Tuesday.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails