Crazy and Flasheart claim first and fastest in Flying Fifteens and division two respectively

Des BeeckAlbany Advertiser
Aileen Lucas wins the start and the race with Crazy.
Camera IconAileen Lucas wins the start and the race with Crazy. Credit: Des Beeck

Where else better to be when the temperature at the airport is 44 degrees, than out on a boat in a cooler 29 degrees on the harbour or in the sound?

That is what several skippers and crews did last Saturday although they were again treated to a dreaded easterly whipping up in Princess Royal Harbour at 22 knots.

The wind certainly made for quick times and a cooling effect.

The wind did drop in the latter part of racing and at 15 knots still pushed the yachts along.

Flying Fifteens competed in a harbour course event and Aileen Lucas had decided that although the conditions weren’t to her liking that she was going to do well with Crazy and showed that she meant business by winning the start over both Simon Lucas in FForever Young and Wayne North in Frequent Flyer.

Crazy took long port legs whereas the other two held on to their starboard tacks.

Cray way in front under spinnaker.
Camera IconCray way in front under spinnaker. Credit: Des Beeck

It worked for Crazy twice and found itself well in front where it stayed right to the finish.

It was wonderful sailing by Aileen Lucas to score the coveted first and fastest.

North had sailed well to take second place on handicap with Frequent Flyer leaving Simon Lucas in third place with Forever Young.

Five division-two yachts began their King George Sound event and in a tightly bunched start two boats broke the line but only one returned to restart and that was Stephen Brown in Mary Maitland. Unfortunately, Josh Hughes skippering Joker sailed on and was consequently disqualified.

Stephen Lee chased Joker throughout with Flasheart but couldn’t bridge the gap and probably unaware that it really didn’t matter as he was leading the race anyway.

Division 2 winner, Flaheart, tacks away at the start.
Camera IconDivision 2 winner, Flaheart, tacks away at the start. Credit: Des Beeck

Neil Worrell in Zuri and Bob Giles in Footloose both had sluggish starts but made up ground as they left the harbour.

On returning to the harbour Joker was well ahead of Flasheart and Mary Maitland all under spinnaker.

Bob Giles who had been doing well was forced to retire with rigging problems leaving three to split the spoils.

Flasheart which had sailed consistently throughout was announced the winner and fastest.

Mary Maitland had done enough on handicap to take second place with Zuri after a pleasant sail was third.

Josh Hughes although disappointed got some joy in knowing that he is probably the quickest yacht in division two.

There are many yachts at the club which aren’t sailing due to lack of crew.

Skippers are appealing for prospective crew to roll up on a Saturday afternoon to fill in vacant position on a yacht and enjoy the fun on the water.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails