Council support for Racewars return
Racewars is on track to return to Albany in 2020, after receiving early support from the City of Albany council.
After a week in which the Racewars group revealed it was heavily in debt and its safety standards were criticised by the head of Australia’s peak motor racing body, applause rang through council chambers on Tuesday when the council unanimously voted to request a plan for next year’s event.
That plan, which will include explanations of how the event could remain commercially viable, is due back to council by August.
After it is submitted, the council is likely to vote on whether to approve the event’s return in 2020.
Racewars event director Jon Murray was hopeful the group would find a financial backer.
“I have already sent the City’s executives a proposal for 2020 with detailed costings setting out a path to sustainability,” he said.
“The next step is to finalise the terms of the long-term deal with the City to enable us to secure the event, support (it) and importantly give sponsors confidence any investment has long-term benefits.
“We believe we can find partners who see value in our event but more importantly the wider car culture community.”
Last week the group revealed it was about $70,000 in debt after its 2019 event was unexpectedly cut short following Brody Ford’s fatal accident on March 3.
Ahead of the vote councillor Greg Stocks said Racewars had been a major tourist attraction for Albany.
Only one resident spoke against the event at the meeting, requesting the City withhold its support until any investigation into Mr Ford’s death had finished.
Since last week Racewars has been full throttle on Facebook preparing for its 2020 event, with proposals including a south coast car cruise and a night-time cinema and bar at the airport.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails