Bulls too slippery in the wet, firm for third spot

Staff reportersAlbany Advertiser
North Albany's Hamish Bigwood and Mt Barker's Jesse Wynne contest the ball on the ground.
Camera IconNorth Albany's Hamish Bigwood and Mt Barker's Jesse Wynne contest the ball on the ground. Credit: Laurie Benson

Mt Barker have joined North Albany on equal points after their clash at Collingwood Park, as the race for third spot and a home final goes into the last round of the Great Southern Football League regular season.

There was plenty of the line yesterday as the Bulls travelled in to take on the Kangas in round 14 and it was the visitors that emerged with a convincing 31-point win in horrible conditions.

Heavy rain and strong wind played havoc for much of the day but it was the Bulls, thanks to a three goal to nil second quarter, who stood firm as they closed in on securing third place.

The Bulls play the bottom placed Albany next week while the Kangas face a red-hot Royals, with only percentage separating yesterday’s opponents on the ladder.

After one goal apiece in the first quarter the Bulls kicked the only three goals of the second, two of which came from Kym Monteath, as they opened up a decisive 19-point half time advantage.

The first three goals of the second half came from the visitors as the margin was out to a game-high 39 points during the third quarter and the Kangas were never able to get the deficit back under four goals.

North Albany’s Ray Padfield kicks his team forward.
Camera IconNorth Albany’s Ray Padfield kicks his team forward. Credit: Laurie Benson

David Stone was outstanding for the Bulls along with midfielder Nic Chidgzey while Jesse Wynne was influential with three goals against his former side in the Bulls 10.6 (66) to 5.5 (35) triumph.

The Kangas were best served by ruckman Stuart Parker, defender Regan Lloyd and youngster Rhori Williams-Jolley did some nice things.

Royals had no problem securing their 11th consecutive victory, easily getting the better of Denmark-Walpole in the wet at McLean Park.

Jaiden Alison and Coel Hunter both booted five goals in the Lions' 22.13 (145) to 2.2 (14) victory.

Andrew Ruck dominated the tap work in the first term, setting the tone early for the visitors with Tyrese Pickett-Miller the beneficiary.

But it was Jordan Heil and Cameron Allison who stood up around the contest when the game was to be won in the second quarter, while Alison kicked four of his five majors and Taylor Powell snagged three during the second.

After the main break, Hunter and Steven Edwards (two goals) put on a masterclass across half-forward for the victors, among the Lions best with Tom Maslen, Heil, Ruck and Allison.

Tyler Stone (one goal) and Ryan Gaerth toiled hard for the Magpies in the heavy 131-point defeat.

At Tigerland the conditions were much the same as Railways overcame a brave Albany, skipping clear in the final term to finish 33-point winners.

Railways' Michael Parker looks to break a tackle.
Camera IconRailways' Michael Parker looks to break a tackle. Credit: Laurie Benson

The home side led by just three points at half time before they kicked three goals to one in the third term and went into the final term up by 13 points.

The Tigers added three goals in the last and held the Sharks to a single point, as they chalked up an 8.9 (57) to 3.6 (24) victory.

Jayden Scott, Kane Shephard and Craig Frost led the way through the middle while Dylan Schorer was also a strong contributor.

Coen Marwick was impressive for the Sharks while Luke Mowaljarlai Snr and Jack Banks tried hard down back all day.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails