Bobeche, Republic of Fremantle: Holiday season cocktails from two of Perth’s most popular bars
Bobeche venue manager James Gentile says he’s always loved the idea of eggnog at Christmas time but he’s always found the traditional recipes with rum and brandy a little too heavy for a hot Australian daytime Christmas event. This version, using tequila and sherry, just makes the whole drink lighter and brighter.
- 2 large eggs
- 75g white caster sugar
- 60ml tequila anejo
- 75ml manzanilla sherry
- 180ml milk
- 120ml cream
- Nutmeg, for garnish
- Step 1 Beat eggs in blender for one minute on medium speed.
- Step 2 Slowly add sugar and blend for one additional minute.
- Step 3 With blender still running, add tequila, sherry, milk, and cream until combined.
- Step 4 Chill thoroughly to allow flavours to combine and serve in chilled wine glasses or champagne coupes, grating or sprinkling nutmeg on top immediately before serving.
Republic of Fremantle
The Gin-A-Colada is a light and refreshing take on the classic Pina Colada. Substituting the white rum for Republic of Fremantle Aromatic Gin adds extra complexity to the drink while keeping the cocktail light and zesty. Replacing the traditional coconut cream element with sorbet also keeps the cocktail lighter, and the addition of sparkling wine dries the drink out and brightens it up. The perfect serve for a hot summer’s day.
- 40ml Republic of Fremantle Aromatic Gin
- 40ml fresh pineapple juice
- 10ml fresh lime juice
- Large scoop coconut sorbet (about 90ml)
- Small pinch of good sea salt
- 30ml prosecco or dry sparkling wine
- Freeze-dried raspberry powder or mint sprig and fresh raspberries (for garnish)
- Step 1 Add all ingredients except sparkling wine to a milkshake tin (cocktail shaker or Nutribullet/blender also works) and mix/blend/shake until the ingredients are combined and fluffy.
- Step 2 In a large highball or tiki glass, add the sparkling wine to the bottom and then pour over the cocktail.
- Step 3 Add cracked or crushed ice and garnish.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails